Monday, October 20, 2014

Downside to being a business owner

You know what’s really difficult about running your own business? Not having any structure to time, day and hours. For the most part I’m pretty good about identifying what needs to be done and taking care of it. However, there are days when having so much freedom can be a bit overwhelming.

The other day, I went for a walk, came back an hour later, feeling pretty good and focused and ready to start on the projects. But then, I felt the need to catch my breath from having walked for an hour. So, with a glass of water, I sat down at my desk and started to watch “Crossing Jordan” on Netflix. It was going to be only for 15 min, and then I was going to start my day. Btw, who knew that show ran for 6 seasons. 

But that 15 min. became an entire episode, and by the time the episode was over, it was time for lunch, and of course, I had to watch another episode while eating. And by the time I finished eating, well, inertia had set in. I sat on my chair, glued to my computer screen, unable to move and all the while feeling the angst of needing to be productive.  I noticed some jewelry components next to the computer, picked them up, turned them over, put them down and was sucked back into watching Jordan and Woody chase the bad guys. Btw, Jerry and Charlie O’Connell, good-looking men. Their parents must be really proud. 

By 8 pm, I had accomplished absolutely nothing, and in my need to make up for the wasted day, I actually answered someone’s ad looking for a guest writer on her blog.  Apparently my mind was under the impression that if I couldn’t be productive for me, then being productive for someone else was just as good.  Yeah…. Finally, at 10 p.m., disgusted with myself and tired from watching so much “TV”, I went to bed.

So there you have it. A day in a life of a business owner on her not-so-good day. 
Today, of course, is another day.  I finished this post and it’s not even 9 a.m. After breakfast I will be heading out to the post office to send off an order and will return promptly to work on a new piece of jewelry.  Today is a good day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment