Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Bean Sprouts- Mother and Child

When I was a college counselor, occasionally my students would bring their children with them to appointments. As I talked to the parents, the kids would become preoccupied with toys I had in my office. Most of them were very well behaved, and even the ones who were more, shall we say, "rambunctious" are a lot of fun. One particular powerhouse of energy disguised as a 2 year old comes to mind. It’s hard to forget how she dodged her mother and held onto my leg when it’s time for her to leave. Too, too cute. In a world where we are constantly reminded of how careless we treat the young, I am heartened by how loving my students were with their children. You could see it in those little faces. They knew they mattered. They knew they were loved.

This piece is a tribute to that unconditional gentleness and kindness that make little sprouts grow up to be healthy happy big sprouts. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment